AboutEditDate: August 18th, 2010
Tagline: The one with all the GamesCom chatter.
What to expect...Edit
- Gamescom news round-up: Find out what has caused a stir in our loins at this year's Cologne show. Including an interesting mental image of Lionhead's Peter Molyneux and EA's Peter Moore as ye olde wizards.
- Appreciation Section: We still can't think of a better name for this section, but this week Dave H pours his heart out over Secret of Mana.
- Question of the Week: We bumble through our answers to 'What's your favourite game of 2010 so far' and read out the more coherent responses from you, the reader/listener.
- The GamesRadar Hotline: Lots of texts not so many phone calls these days. We miss your lovely voices. Even the ones that sounded like you were ringing from down a well.
- What we've been playing: Which involves Justin showing off about nearly being 100% complete with Super Mario Galaxy 2. Brilliantly, it looks like that final level is going to be a right pain in the arse for him. HA!
- BONUS CONTENT ALERT!!1!1: This is our walk to the studio each week. It's worth watching for Cundy's impromptu tribute to Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks sketch.
Dave H appreciates the old SNES game called The Secret of Mana. He claims this to be the greatest 16-bit RPG in existence. To set the scene of his love for this game he tells a story about him on Christmas Day 1993 or 1994. That year he had asked for Super Street Fighter 2 and he got two boxes. One with Street Fighter and the other with The Secret of Mana. He put it on expecting Zelda but better. Screen goes black. Whale noises and eerie sounds. Then little delicate piano notes start playing as the screen fades on and the (to this day) best piece of game music he had ever heard kicks in. At this point he mentions that this also has an amazing soundtrack. This made him realise that game are a big deal and go much further than just Mario or Zelda, that they were a serious and artistic medium. He mentions that Mana has 3 player co-op which at this time was an amazing achievement.
Question of the Week: What game is currently your favourite of 2010 so far?
- Justin: Super Street Fighter 4
- Dave H: Super Street Fighter 4
- Matt: Heavy Rain
- Nathan: Red Dead Redemption